Newsletter for November 2020
First of all, I would like to thank the church family for the gift card you presented to me on Minister Appreciation Day. Also, thanks to those of you who gave us cards of appreciation and other expressions of your gratitude. It is indeed a pleasure to serve the Northside family as one of your ministers.
I know I speak for all of you in wishing this COVID season would hurry up and excuse itself from society. 2020 has definitely been the year of the virus, masks, and hurricanes. Our sense of normalcy left town many months ago, and we wonder if it will ever return. It sort of reminds me of a time in my childhood when my dad was called in to work on the railroad delivering coal to a steam plant in Georgia. He was gone for a total of thirty-three days. We literally didn’t know when he would ever come back home. One particular Monday, my brother, Danny, forgot to take his lunch money for the week. When the teacher asked for it, he told her our daddy had left home and we didn’t know if he would ever come back. The teacher sent him home with an application for the free lunch program! Unlike my dad who did come back home, I’m afraid our past sense of normalcy will never be back.
It has been good to see so many of you coming back to church. Hopefully, we will all be able to get back together before too many more months have passed. I certainly understand why some of you are not yet comfortable in returning. I hope you are enjoying the new cameras for the online feed of the service each and every Sunday.
Bro. David firstname.lastname@example.org
Music & Outreach
I have to begin by saying thank you for the gift the church gave me on Minister Appreciation Sunday. That gift, along with your prayers, support, and encouragement, have been greatly appreciated during this very interesting year we've had. I also want to say thanks for your support in the purchase of our new camera system. We are still tweaking it and expect it to look better and better each time we use it. Everyone here is new to this kind of technology, so please be patient with us as we sometimes make mistakes while learning how to best use it.
Choir members, I sure do miss y'all. I miss leading worship with you on Sunday. I also miss our time of worship and fellowship, and sometimes rehearsal, on Wednesday nights. That said, I want to invite you to a special gathering. Wednesday, November 18, at 7:00 p.m. we're going to have a choir rehearsal of sorts. We'll meet in the sanctuary, spread way apart for social distancing, and sing praises to God for as long as we want. Please understand, this will not be a rehearsal in the sense of us preparing to lead worship on any Sunday anytime soon. I don’t know when our choir will return to our worship services. This is simply us gathering to fellowship and worship our God together. No nursery will be provided, but your whole family is welcome to come. If you have never been in choir, you're invited too.
Serving Him with you,
-Bro. Shawn email@example.com
Things sure have been different this year. In fact, almost everything seems somewhat different. One thing that remains the same is God's love for us and our calling to love in Jesus' name. In that line of thought, please remember Operation Christmas Child in your upcoming shopping.
These shoeboxes bring love and joy to every little hand that receives them. Also, our NBC kids have already gotten together to make Crafts for Lottie supporting the Lottie Moon Christmas offering. Stay tuned for availability and pricing. They won't last long!
God loves you,
-Bro. Wes firstname.lastname@example.org
NBC Student Ministry
How do you respond to difficult circumstances? Maybe a better question is, how should Christians respond to life in general? There’s a lot going on in our world today. Some are good things but for the most part bad circumstances seem to be around every corner. Our student Bible studies have been centered around the Scripture’s response to rejection, temptation, disappointment, and negativity. How can we glorify God even when life gets hard?
We’ll have a hayride and wiener roast at the Wiginton’s home on Nov. 7th at 3:30 p.m.
We'll be packing O.C.C. boxes tonight under the breezeway. If you are a student 7th through 12th grade or know of one who is not already plugged in somewhere, we would love to have you and others join us! Thank you for your prayers! God Bless!
Bro. Justin email@example.com
Flashback Photos: This past month, Northside provided a meal for the Jasper High School band & then the football team a few weeks later. Justin had the opportunity to share some spiritual truths with the football team. We are thankful for the opportunities to serve these students and appreciate having the budget to do this kind of ministry.
Operation: Christmas Child
Our Samaritan’s Purse Operation Christmas Child emphasis is coming to a close. This Sunday, November 8, will be deadline for you to give money ($34 for each box ) for someone to shop for you and pack your box. If you plan to do this online. please do so by this Thursday so the gift will process and be available by Friday morning. They do not process on the weekend.
All boxes need to be returned to the church by Sunday morning, November 15. You may bring them by any time during regular office hours. Be sure to mark your box for gender and age group and enclose the requested $9 per box for shipping. Thanks for your participation!
Food Closet Needs
We have resumed distributing grocery bags when they are requested. Right now we are not having many requests, but we anticipate that will change as the holidays get closer. Mike and Sandra Gibson man our food closet and do an excellent job. Here are some of the items we need:
- packets of instant potatoes
- small bags of rice (not more than 2 pounds)
- canned fruit
- bottles of cooking oil
- canned meats, except tuna
- small bags (2 or 5 lbs.) of self rising corn meal and self rising flour.
If you would like to give money, rather than shop and purchase items to bring to the church, you may certainly do so. Just mark “food closet” on your envelope or choose that category from the drop down box if you give online.
Nursing Home Christmas Shop
Due to the virus the shop will have to look different this year. Our folks will not be able to go as they have in years past. Below you will see a list of requested items. It has been abbreviated to the items that the nursing homes feel are the more essential. If you would like to donate an item, please do that prior to Sunday, December 6. If you would like to donate money so items can be purchased, please do this no later than Sunday, November 22. This will give us time to place online or pickup orders. Put NHCS on your envelope or if giving online choose the Love Offering category from the drop box and put NHCS on the memo line.
The items are:
- Sweatshirts and sweatpants: Women Small through 2XL, Men Large through 2XL
- Non-Skid Gripper Socks for Men and Ladies
- Fleece Throws
- Lap Blankets
- Velcro Walker Bags
- Baby Dolls and Stuffed Animals
- Boxes of Facial Tissue
- Hair Brushes and Combs
- Unscented Body Wash (Equate, Lever or Dove)
- Baby Shampoo
- Unscented Deodorant for Men and Women
- Unscented Lotions - Body and Hand
- Jewelry - Bracelets or Necklaces (no lapel pins or brooches please)
- Pajama Sets: Women Small through 2XL, Men Large through 2XL
We will place boxes at the three entrances beginning November 15 to begin accepting your donations.
Want a Sunday School book for the December, January, February quarter? This Sunday, November 8, will be the deadline for you to let me know. I will be ordering on Monday, November 9. We have the November monthly magazines now for those who would like them. Call and let us know you are coming, and we will bag them and put them on the railing outside the office.
Weekly Budget Needs: $ 11,541.10
Budget Needs YTD: $ 92,328.80
Received thru 10/31/20 $ 93,723.88
Memorials & Honorariums (October)
- In Memory of Anne O’Neal to the Children’s Ministry by Barbara Haney, Grace SS Class, Gerald and Sue Faught, Bill and Cathey Trussell, Rufus and Patsy Reed, Frances Wilson
- In Memory of Anne O’Neal To the Youth Ministry by Glen and Debra Gravlee
- In Memory of Amon Davidson (Ed’s dad) to the Gideon's by Frances Wilson
- In Memory of Rick Cooksey to the Youth Ministry by Frances Wilson
- Sundays at 11 am: Worship in-person or on facebook at www.facebook.com/nbcjasper/live. No facebook account is required to view the video
- Wednesday at 6pm: Base NBC Student ministry meeting. Watch your email or Realm for information weekly regarding meeting location and details. Not getting Justin's emails? Let Shawn know.
- Wednesdays & Sundays - NBC Kids Devotional videos posted to youtube. Subscribe to our youtube channel so you don't miss a single video. Search youtube for "Northside Baptist Church Jasper"
- Numerous Sunday Schools classes of different age groups are meeting online at different times during the week. To join, contact the church office and we'll be glad to put you in touch with one of them.
- Saturday Nov 7 - NBC Students Hayride & Weiner Roast
- Sunday Nov 8 - Deadline to request Sunday School book for Dec, Jan, Feb quarter.
- Monday Nov 9, 6 p.m. - Deacons Meeting
- Sunday Nov 15 - Operation Christmas Child Boxes due
- Wednesday Nov 18 - ̷C̷h̷o̷i̷r̷ Rehearsal - everyone invited